- Engineering Department
- Assessment Information
Special assessments are a charge imposed on properties for an improvement that benefits the owners of that selected property. The authority to use special assessments originates in the State Constitution which allows the State Legislature to give cities and other local government units the authority "to levy and collect assessments for local improvements upon property benefited hereby". The Legislature designates that authority to cities in Minnesota Statutes Chapter 429.
Assessments are also charged for the Downtown Special Services District and Nuisance Abatement including Administrative Citations.
- Street & Sewer Assessment Policy (PDF)
- Street Assessment FAQ (PDF)
- City Code Section 805 - Assessable Current Services (PDF)
- City Code Section 2010 - Nuisances, Junk, Blight (PDF)
- City Code Section 320 - Administrative Citations (PDF)
- Minnesota Statute Chapter 429 - Local Improvements, Special Assessments
Once assessments have been adopted, property owners have the following options for repayment:
- Pay the total amount of the assessment within 30 days after the City Council adopts the assessment rolls - interest cannot be charged.
- Pay a partial amount of the assessment within 30 days after the City Council adopts the assessment rolls. The remaining balance will be certified to the County Auditor to be collected in annual installments with property taxes under the terms set by the City Council.
- Pay the assessment in annual installments plus interest collected with property taxes under the terms set by the City Council.
- At any time after certification to the County Auditor, the property owner may still pay the entire remaining unpaid amount to the County Treasurer. However, the property owner must pay the entire remaining unpaid amount of the assessment before November 15 of any year and must also pay all interest accrued until the end of that calendar year.
Full or partial assessment payments can be made at City Hall or Online without interest 30 days after the Council adopts the assessment rolls. To make a payment after the 30 days, please contact the City Administrator's office at 218-828-2307.