Warming Houses/Skating Rinks
The City of Brainerd maintains and staffs 3 warming houses, 3 hockey rinks and 3 pleasure rinks during each winter season.
Opening and closing rinks and warming houses for the season is very weather dependent. It takes a minimum of two weeks with below freezing temperatures for us to safely create ice. Our goal opening date is typically 3rd or 4th week of December each year. Once we start flooding we will announce our tentative open date. Our usual closing date is the first weekend in March.
Memorial Park- a large hockey rink, a youth hockey rink, and a small pleasure rink.(all lighted)
Bane Park -a large hockey rink(lighted) and a pleasure rink.
Gregory Park-a pleasure rink *new 2021-2022* string lighting around the rink.
Warming House Hours:
Thursday, December 30: Gregory Park (noon - 8 p.m.), Bane Park (4 - 8 p.m.), and Memorial Park ( 4 - 8 p.m.).
Friday, December 31: All warming houses (noon - 8 p.m. )
We will be open New Years Day: All warming houses (noon- 8 p.m.)
Monday - Friday 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
*If for some reason all of the warming houses close early-on in the season, the plan to re-open with any change of hours related to re-opening will be posted here*
Brainerd Parks and Recreation Pond Hockey Facebook Group
Skating Rink Rules
- Hockey sticks or playing of hockey on a "pleasure rink" is prohibited.
- No horseplay or rough play allowed.
- No throwing snowballs or any foreign objects at any time while skating or in warming house.
- No loitering; the warming house is to be used by skaters only.
- Absolutely no abusive or foul language.
- No Smoking, alcoholic beverages or drugs are allowed in the warming house or on the rink at any time.
- Any broomball and hockey practices must be scheduled through the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Report all injuries and other incidents to the rink supervisor the night of the incident or accident. If very serious immediately call 911.
- Please deposit all litter in the containers provided.
- Protective equipment is highly recommended for skaters.
- If you loan skates, you must sign them out and sign them back in. If you put your own skates back please keep the shelves neat and organized.
Weather Cancellation Policy
Outdoor rinks and Pond Hockey
During extreme cold weather, outdoor activities are not recommended. Therefore, warming houses will be closed and Pond Hockey programs will be cancelled when the air temperature is -10 degrees or lower, or when the wind chill is -25 degrees or lower. For the protection of your children, please keep them home on those days. Warming houses may be closed and Pond Hockey may be cancelled due to rinks covered in snow. The Parks and Recreation website will be updated from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
After 5 p.m. or on weekends call the cancellation line or check with the Brainerd Parks and Recreation Facebook Page for updates.