Economic Development Authority
The City of Brainerd Economic Development Authority (EDA) is your first-stop for business development assistance in Brainerd, including:
- Site selection for large or small business
- Business expansion and relocation financing resources
- Referral source for business start-up assistance
- Redevelopment assistance
- Gap financing referrals
- Economic development rates on utilities
The EDA is dedicated to enhancing Brainerd's economic vitality and expanding tax base and employment opportunities within the city limits. We are committed to working with you whether you have an existing business in the city or are thinking of relocating or expanding into our community.
The Brainerd EDA is committed to helping businesses of all sizes feel at home in the economic center of the Brainerd Lakes area.
The City of Brainerd has had a bond rating of AA- from Standard and Poors for years and currently has a stable outlook. According to Standard and Poors: "An obligation rated 'AA' differs from the ['AAA'] obligations only to a small degree. The obligor's capacity to meet its financial commitments on the obligation is very strong."
Opportunity ZonesOpportunity Zones was created by Congress in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act to stimulate investment in low-income communities throughout the United States. Investments in Opportunity Zones must be made through a partnership or corporation, commonly known as Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF).
Federal Tax Incentives include capital gain deferral and partial gain exclusion on realized gains reinvested in Opportunity Funds as well as full gain exclusion on appreciation of the Opportunity Fund itself, if the investment is held for 10 years.
These documents provide framework and priorities for which the EDA and staff can work within to enhance the tax base in the City of Brainerd.
- River to Rail Initiative (2018)
- Mississippi River Partnership Plan (2015)
- Brainerd Comprehensive Plan (2004)
- Comprehensive Plan Update Project
- Revitalizing Downtown Brainerd (2002)
City of Brainerd Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports
The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting has been awarded to the City of Brainerd by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) each year since 1993. The CAFR is submitted annually for consideration. The certificate is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Year Ended December 31, 2016
- Year Ended December 31, 2015
- Year Ended December 31, 2014
- Prior Annual Reports
- Brainerd HRA
- Brainerd Lakes Area Economic Development Corporation
- Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce
- Brainerd Public Utilities
- Brainerd Restoration
- Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)
- North Central Region Small Business Development Center
- Region Five Development Commission
- Visit Brainerd
- 7:30 a.m.
- Meets as needed
- The Monday prior to the regular Council Meeting
- Council Chambers
Agendas & Minutes
- Wayne Erickson - term expires 09/07/2022
- VACANT - term expires 09/07/2021
- Ed Menk - term expires 09/07/2021
- VACANT - term expires 09/07/2020
- Jerry Sinner - term expires 09/07/2019
- Alderman Kelly Bevans (Council Liaison) - term expires 12/31/2022
- Alderman Gabe Johnson (Council Liaison) - term expires 12/31/2022
Recommended by Mayor, Approved by Council
Advise City Council on economic development issues i.e. tax increment financing, revolving loan fund applications, business expansion and retention, downtown grant applications, and annexation.
The Commission is comprised of five members elected from the general public and two Councilmembers. Councilmembers term coincides with their term of office.
Qualifications to Serve
- Be a resident of the City of Brainerd or have an ownership interest in a business or other property within the City of Brainerd.
- Background in economic development, banking and/or finance areas may be helpful.
Length of Term
Terms run 9/7 to 9/7 of each year other than Council Liaisons