Who We Are, What We Do
Firefighters must be State Certified as a Firefighter I and Firefighter II, as well as EMS trained to the minimum of First Responder. Firefighters train a minimum of twice a month on Monday evenings. Training can include Ice Rescue and Swiftwater Rescue, Confined Space Rescue, Forcible Entry, Hazardous Materials, Ventilation, Communications, Auto and Bus Extrication, and Farm Machinery Extrication, as well as live disaster drills. Outside training opportunities are also offered to the members.
Personnel & Gear
Turn-out gear weighs approximately 45 pounds and consists of boots, bunker pants, helmet, turn-out coat, gloves, Nomex hood, and SCBA. The Department maintains NFPA and OSHA standards, as well as the two in two out rule (for every two firefighters inside, there are two backup firefighters at the entrance prepared to go inside). The Department also deploys a R.I.T. (Rapid Intervention Team of 4 to 6 people staged for rescue of fallen firefighters). This ensures the safety of our attack crews.
The Brainerd Fire Department mans and maintains the State Decontamination Trailer, designed for the Cuyuna Range area.
What Can We Do For You?
In addition to emergency services, the Fire Department provides a number of other services. Do you need:
- A Fire Incident Report? Fire reports are a matter of public record. To make a request, complete the Incident Report Request Form (PDF) and return it to the Fire Department.
- A safety talk and a tour of the station to celebrate your child's birthday? For more details, view our Birthday Party Information (PDF).
- An inspection scheduled or have an inspection or fire code question? Call 218-828-2312 or email your request to Inspections.
- Fire Extinguisher Training or a Fire Prevention and Education demo for a business? Need OSHA training for your business? Please send an email request to Public Education.
- Information regarding child seat installation? Contact us at 218-828-2312.
- To have your blood pressure checked? Stop by the Fire Department for this service.
- To schedule a Station Tour or have a firefighter talk to your group? Please send an email request to Public Education.